You know the basics of soloing over the blues. Now it’s time to take your playing to the next level. The truth is, it’s not all that complicated. A little bit of guidance goes a long way. If you’re willing to put in the hard work, this course will get you there!
The Next Level Blues Course is designed to get you from good to great solos. We cover every nook and cranny of the blues, leaving you with the skills to get you to the next level.
This course is not an overview of the blues. We dive deep as you come along with me through each lesson. Video tutorials provide you with no guesswork. Audio examples allow you to play along and make sure you can hear and understand the material. Backing tracks allow you to practice at all tempos. The worksheets are yours to keep at your side throughout your journey.
What you will learn:
- The ‘hidden’ changes that make your solos more compelling and leave the audience on the edge of their seats wanting more.
- The keys to adding to direction and harmonic interest in the blues. No more meandering through the changes. Play with purpose and intent!
- Reharmonization techniques that add tension and release to your playing.
- Extensive examples of all techniques, giving you a blueprint for success.
- Get out of your comfort zone with new and challenging sounds. Take your concept to the next level.
Get started now!
What’s Included With The Next Level Blues Course:
- Nine in depth video lessons (over 2 hours of video!), taking you through the progression and harmony step by step. (Worksheets included for C, Bb, Eb, and bass clef instruments)
- Blues Etudes putting the techniques into action.
- Demonstration recordings allowing you to hear and play these sounds along with me.
- Backing tracks at every tempo.
- Bonus lessons include: seven Ear Training Etudes, Combining Scales and Arpeggios, and a Scale Segment Masterclass.
- A community chat monitored personally by your instructor to answer any questions or difficulties you may be having with the material.
Lesson 1: Adding Tension In Measure 4
Lesson 2: The #4 Diminished Chord
Lesson 3: The VI Chord
Lesson 4: Reharmonizing The ii V I
Lesson 5: More Reharmonizations
Lesson 6: Advanced Reharmonizations
Lesson 7: The I VI ii V I
Lesson 8: Tying It All Together: The Etudes
Lesson 9: But Wait, There’s More: Opening Pandora’s Box on the Blues
Ear Training Etudes
Combining Scales and Arpeggios
Scale Segment Masterclass
Frequently Asked Questions
For me, teaching is a passion; I live and breathe it. Since 2003, I’ve provided students around the world with extensive private teaching services in a number of different fields. I take pride in teaching people who are eager to expand their minds, talents, and skills, and bring a depth of professional expertise to those who strive to excel.
Nick is the Creator and Host of the critically acclaimed, 10 Minute Jazz Lesson Podcast where he spreads knowledge of jazz and improvisation to students the world over. Nick also hosts and runs the Everything Saxophone Podcast with his colleague, Donna Schwartz. Together, they interview top saxophonists from around the world and bring the joy of playing saxophone to all who listen.
Nick has recently published his first method book for saxophone, Comprehensive Saxophone Warm-Ups with the Mel Bay Publishing Company.
Nick also maintains an active performing career with many ensembles throughout New England and beyond. Over the years Nick has been lucky enough to study and perform with some of the top musicians in the world including, Clark Terry, James Moody, Branford Marsalis, Donny McCaslin, Jimmy Heath, John Clayton, Ingrid Jensen, and Billy Pierce.