Are you looking to develop practical jazz piano skills that will help you in the practice room, when teaching students, or while playing music with friends? This course is designed for you!
The Practical Jazz Piano System is a one stop course taking you from zero experience with jazz piano voicings to being a competent, knowledgeable, amateur pianist. 23 in-depth lessons start from how to think about jazz voicings and quickly move into a simple, easy to understand system for playing any chord progression no matter how complicated.
This course is based on practicality. Many piano systems are designed to make you a virtuoso, requiring a large volume of material related to piano technique, reading, etc. This material is based on getting you the skills to accomplish the goal: being able to play a sophisticated voicing for any chord you may come across. This means we can skip the material that causes many budding pianist to quit before they develop any real skills. This course will be challenging, but it will also be extremely fun and rewarding!
What is included in this course:
- 23 in depth video lessons featuring an on-screen keyboard, allowing you to see every detail of what is being taught.
- PDF worksheets for every lesson.
- Piano-less backing tracks for you to practice your skills with a real band!
- Interactive forum with the instructor and other students.
What should I know before starting this course?
- A basic understanding of simple chord symbols used in the jazz language (Cmaj7, C7, C-7)
- A basic understanding of the piano keyboard (knowing which keys play which notes)
- A rudimentary knowledge of the treble and bass clef (This course doesn't require much reading, but it is important to be able to name notes on the staff)
That's it! As you can see, we don't need many skills to get going.
What skills will I have at the end of this course?
- An understanding of what makes jazz piano voicings sound so rich and interesting.
- The ability to play quality jazz voicings that clearly outline the chord progression and sound fantastic.
- The ability to make sense of ANY chord symbol you will see in the jazz language.
- A deep understanding of chord extensions and how they work together to make musical magic.
- The ability to walk a simple bass line along with your chord voicings, turning you into a one person rhythm section!
- You will be able to open any real book, to any page, and competently play the chords in a functional manner.
I'm extremely excited for you to get started with this course and develop the practical piano skills you have always wanted.
Get started now!
Frequently Asked Questions
Get started now!
For me, teaching is a passion; I live and breathe it. Since 2003, I’ve provided students around the world with extensive private teaching services in a number of different fields. I take pride in teaching people who are eager to expand their minds, talents, and skills, and bring a depth of professional expertise to those who strive to excel.
Nick is the Creator and Host of the critically acclaimed, 10 Minute Jazz Lesson Podcast where he spreads knowledge of jazz and improvisation to students the world over. Nick also hosts and runs the Everything Saxophone Podcast with his colleague, Donna Schwartz. Together, they interview top saxophonists from around the world and bring the joy of playing saxophone to all who listen.
Nick has recently published his first method book for saxophone, Comprehensive Saxophone Warm-Ups with the Mel Bay Publishing Company.
Nick also maintains an active performing career with many ensembles throughout New England and beyond. Over the years Nick has been lucky enough to study and perform with some of the top musicians in the world including, Clark Terry, James Moody, Branford Marsalis, Donny McCaslin, Jimmy Heath, John Clayton, Ingrid Jensen, and Billy Pierce.